The presence of the railway and of the no. 36 trunk road along the coast have meant that Dorio could not spread easily along the edge of the lake; and so it has developed on the slopes of the mountain, up to a height of 500 m above sea level.
The commune takes in the wards of Torchiedo and the localities of Garavina, Rivetta and Panico.
During the first decades of the 18th century the Nava family set up a silk spinning plant which was drivcn by the hydraulic power of streams.
THINGS TO SEE
The Church of San Giorgio
This parish church which overlooks thc village was built at the end of the 17th century.
The old parish church is situated in the locality of Mandonico and was also dedicated to St George. It was built at the end of the 13th or the beginning of the 14th century. Inside there are frescoes from 1497 which have recently been restored.
La Chiesetta della Madonna Immacolata
This small church was built in the locality of Sparesée in 1969 in memory of a previous church which stood where the new parish church is today. The Madonna is known as the Vergine dei Monti (the Virgin of thc Mountains).
The Church of San Rocco
It is situatcd at a height of 500 m above sea level. There is an ancient cemetery around it; which was perhaps for victims of the plague.